FAQs Drainage

Frequently Asked Questions: Drainage


What drains are the property owners responsibility?

If you have a blocked drain and it is on your property, then it is your responsibility to have this cleared. However, once the drain system leaves the customers property and enters the public sewers it is then the responsibility of the Local Water Authority. Therefore, if it is not on your boundary it is then the council’s problem to resolve.


What are the different methods of drain clearing?

  • Rodding: This technique involves passing rods through the drainage system. The rods have brushes affixed at the end of the rod. The rod then passes through the system, dislodging the blockage which is dispersed throughout the system, so the flow of water is restored.


  • Jetting: All able group drainage vehicles are fitted with high pressure water jetting equipment. When jetting, highly pressurised water passes through the jetting hose and through the drainage system, dislodging any obstructions and restoring the flow of water.


  • Chemicals: Corrosive chemicals are flushed through the drainage system, breaking down that can then be flushed with the normal flow of water.


What is Drain Realignment?

A CCTV Survey may show various underlying problems that can only be dealt with by excavating the drainage system – this is drain realignment. The only way to identify if a drain realignment is necessary is to carry out a CCTV Survey beforehand.


What are Soakaways?

Soakaways are applied to properties with poor drainage. Areas of earth are dug up and filled with rubble. This creates a system whereby rain water will drain away more easily.


If you have got any other queries and would like to speak to one of our expert advisors, contact Able Group today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *